ENGLISH FOR EVERYONE

ENGLISH FOR EVERYONE

Monday, June 16, 2014

Listening en inglés. Escuchar conversaciones. Nivel 5.

Listening en inglés. Escuchar conversaciones. Nivel 5.

Rebecca talks about what things she wishes she could do but can't.

Todd:  So, Rebecca, let's talk about things we wish we could do that we can't do. What is something you wish you could do, that you can't do now?


Rebecca:  I think it would be definitely playing music, like playing a guitar. Some of my friends can just pull out a guitar and start singing and then you have everybody around and it's such a great night. I just wish I could join them and actually, yeah, have fun with that as well, but no, I can't play a guitar.


T:  So, if you could play any instrument, it would be the guitar?


R: Yeah. Yeah, I think so. I have played piano and saxophone before but not overly that 
well.


T: Oh, really so you actually had musical training?


R: Yeah, when I was in high school.


T: In the piano and the saxophone?


R: Yep. Yeah. The saxophone was maybe for one or two years and I would love to get back into playing that as well, but they're quite expensive little instruments actually.


T: Yeah. Slightly.


R: And then the piano is very large so, you can't really transport that around with you wherever you go.


T: So do you think that if had learned music at a younger age, you would still be with it? Was the problem just that you waited to late in life to start?


R: I don't think so. I think it's more the friends circle that I was with. We weren't really a musical group and the people that I've met now are really musical so you sort of wish maybe if I hadkept going I could have joined them now, but I do enjoy listening to them.


T: Well, what about singing? Are you a good singer?


R: No. Not at all. I don't think I want to be a good singer either ‘cause then everybody would expect you to sing all the time so I just do backup vocals. Really badly.


T: Well, I'm the same way. I can't sing at all. OK, so basically you wish you could play the guitar, but you have played the piano and the saxophone before.


R: Yes.


T: OK, is there anything else that you wish you could do?


R: Be able to speak maybe a couple of languages would be nice.


T: Yeah, that's a good one. So if you could speak any two languages, what two would you want to speak?


R: I think Japanese and Spanish.


T: Japanese and Spanish.


R: Yeah. Yeah. They both sound really interesting and they're both from countries that I would like to go and visit and maybe attempt to work there but you need to be able to speak the language before you can work.


T: Right. That's true. I think if I could choose any two languages I would choose Chinese and Arabic, just because both those languages when I hear them they sound so completely impossible to speak, so if you could speak those, that would be pretty amazing.


R: Yeah, definitely. Yeah, Chinese sounds like a hard language.


T: All those tones.

Vocabulario:

pull out > sacar
  • Some of my friends can just pull out a guitar and start singing - Algunos de mis amigos pueden sacar una guitarra y empezar a cantar


get back into > return to do something again > volver a hacer algo


not overly that well = not very well


Yep / Yeah = Yes


kept going (phrasal verb: keep going) = carry on = continue


backup vocals > singers who accompany the lead singer in a pop group


a hard language = a difficult language

Gramática:

Attribution (Reconocimiento) English Listening Lesson Library Online, (elllo).
El podcast original viene de - Wish list 875.
El podcast original tiene ejercicios (Comprehension quiz & Vocabulary quiz)



Una traducción:
Todd: Bien, Rebecca, vamos a hablar de cosas que deseamos que podríamos hacer que no podemos hacer. ¿Qué es lo que te gustaría hacer, que no puedes hacer ahora?
Rebecca: Creo que sería definitivamente tocar música, como tocar la guitarra. Algunos de mis amigos pueden sacar una guitarra y empezar a cantar y tienen todos alrededor y resulta una gran noche. Yo sólo deseo que podría unirme con ellos y, sí, divertirme, pero no, no sé tocar la guitarra.
Todd: Así que, si pudieras tocar cualquier instrumento, sería la guitarra?
Rebecca: Sí. Sí. Creo que sí. He tocado el piano y el saxofón antes, pero no demasiado bien.
Todd: Oh, de verdad. Así que en realidad tenía formación musical?
Rebecca: Sí, cuando estaba en el instituto.
Todd: En el piano y el saxofón?
Rebecca: Yep. Sí. El saxofón tal vez, por uno o dos años, y me encantaría volver a tocarlo, pero son pequeños instrumentos pero muy caros en realidad.
Todd: Si. Un poco.
Rebecca: Y luego el piano es muy grande, y no se puede llevarlo por todos partes.
Todd: Entonces, ¿crees que si hubieras aprendido la música a una edad más joven, todavía estaría tocandola? ¿Fue el problema que esperaste demasiado tarde para empezar?
Rebecca: Yo no lo creo. Creo que fue más el círculo de amigos que tenía. No era un grupo musical y la gente que ya conozco ahora es muy de musica y ahora creo que si hubiera seguido tocando podría haber unido a ellos ahora, pero me encanta escucharlos.
Todd: Bueno, ¿Eres una buena cantante?
Rebecca: No. En absoluto. No quiero ser una buena cantante porque todo el mundo esperaría que cantas todo el tiempo, solo hago coros. Y muy mal.
Todd: Bueno, yo tambien. No sé cantar para nada. Bien, entonces básicamente te gustaría  tocar la guitarra, pero que has tocado el piano y el saxofón antes.
Rebecca: Sí.
Todd: OK, ¿hay algo más que te gustaría hacer?
Rebecca: Para poder hablar tal vez un par de idiomas, eso sería bueno.
Todd: Sí, eso estaría bien. Entonces, si pudieras hablar dos idiomas, ¿cuales son que te gustarían hablar?
Rebecca: japonés y español, creo.
Todd: japonés y español.
Rebecca: Sí. Sí. Los dos me parecen muy interesantes y los dos son países que me gustaría visitar y tal vez intentar trabajar pero hay que hablar el idioma antes de poder trabajar.
Todd: Así es. Eso es verdad. Creo que si pudiera elegir cualquiera dos lenguas, elegiría el chino y el árabe, ya que los dos suenan tan complicados, así que si pudieras hablar los dos,  eso sería increíble.  
Rebecca: Sí, definitivamente. Sí, chino suena como un idioma muy difícil.
Todd: Todos esos tonos.
Curso ingles online, listening conversaciones en inglés. Wish list L5.

No comments:

Post a Comment